View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Vintage Radio Service Data DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Cassidy View Post
Hello.
What Paul has scanned and put on the disc is his intellectual copyright. He won't own the copyright of the original material as he won't have the rights. I'm sure he can explain it better than myself. I was told a few years ago that someone else has the rights to Trader & ERT, not sure who it is though or even if the information is correct.
Yes I claim copyright on the compilation, cataloguing etc and on the PDF files I make (many of which have scans that needed some tweaking to clean up damage), but not on the original material. And I charge to try to cover some of the time I spend doing all this, as well as the hosting for that site and this forum.

When I first started doing this I tried to find out who owned the copyright of the various manuals and service sheets so I could request permission, but got nowhere. So I decided to go ahead anyway and if anyone complained I would remove their data. So far nobody has, and the archives for two manufacturers have requested copies of all their manuals I have because they don't have them themselves.

Scanning, editing, PDFing and cataloguing thousands of manuals takes a lot of time, and there are plenty of more profitable or enjoyable things I could be doing with that time. But I do it because I want to make the information available to other collectors.

I do get annoyed when other people remove the watermarks and upload data obtained from me elsewhere for free, or even worse when they charge for it or use it on somewhere like Radiomuseum where they gain points from it. Basically it is stealing my hard work and depriving me of the payment for it.

Radiomuseum do say they will reject data obtained from me but I bet there's still loads of it up there. The problem is there is no way I can check.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster