View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2017, 3:45 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Interconnecting old telephones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baceplate View Post
hi there just joined the forum last week, I collect old GPO phones 200 and 300 series all in working order. My problem is how do I get them to work so as I can call one to another I have 3 phones upstairs one in the living room and one in a log cabin down the bottom of the garden have tried every thing to solve this, I bought a Panasonic 206 which I was advised was all I would need, I could not get it to ring the old phones but it would ring two cheap Chinese phones I plugged in to it, not what I wanted. spoke to a ex BT engineer he advised me to buy a BT micro did not work with the old phones worked with the cheap phones have tried every thing after a day I gave up. As you can imagine I'm down a few quid have tools I will probably never use again seem to have miles of twisted pair cable and no further ahead. reading the post on this forum some of the members seem to have systems I can only dream about, A bit of advice would be very much apppreciated hope to hear from you soon.Bill

Hi Bill, can you explain what you mean by a "BT micro"?

You also say that they are in working order, can I assume then that they are already "converted" to use the modern plug and socket and that they ring on incoming calls when connected directly to a regular phone line?

If so, then my next question is what kind of sockets are you using on the end of the cables going to the Panasonic PABX? They need to be primary sockets.
Not necessarily the NTE5 type Master sockets, just cheap PABX primary sockets identifiable by having a capacitor. You will need them for all extensions with a vintage phone attached. as you have discovered, modern phones will ring on a secondary socket without the capacitor.

Here's a good tip if you only have secondaries, find a spare ADSL filter and plug your vintage phone via that.

Graham.
G3ZVT