View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2022, 3:05 am   #6
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Soldering iron bit temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post

So I conclude that the bit temperature stabilizes at a temperature where it, and the other hot parts of the iron, are losing heat to the environment at the same rate as heat is being supplied by the element. Any thoughts?
I can see why it could appear that way. The bit temperature might have a ceiling on ‘manual standby’ , if you like , but it may vary critically fast while you’re applying heat to a component or assembly.

I like to know the temperature, which I vary for different alloys and thicknesses of solder and bit and with what I’m doing. I’d rather a quick blast of 450C for a second than holding a too-cold bit to something until it overheats. I go higher for heavier pieces or desoldering.

I found with the unregulated types that heat would eventually spread up into the handle and start to cause discomfort to me , or I’d be anxiously saying ‘hurry up and melt’ while trying to solder something fragile.

Not a problem of course with the huge, 1940 era brazing iron that was my grandfather’s. I used it to teach myself to solder, age 13, using those little strips once available from Tandy. . That fella had to be heated with a blow torch first l.