View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 2:45 pm   #18
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: DP 399 A Sight To Behold

I've just been for a walk with my camera.
These finials are not a rare sight around this North Manchester suburb.
I have noted the "preservation state" of telegraph poles is very regional with different rules seeming to apply. On my trips through North Wales and rural areas of Scotland there still can be seen porcelain insulators and crossmembers on poles which would have been removed decades ago around here.

So back to the finials. It's interesting to learn that they are metal, up till now I thought they were turned wood.

Note the wire going up towards the finial.
Click image for larger version

Name:	finial.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	266651 Click image for larger version

Name:	finial CU.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	266666

Here's a pole missing its finial, but with a pigtail of wire that looks like it was wound around the screw

Name:	pigtail.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	266652 Click image for larger version

Name:	pigtail CU.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	266667

and each pole had an earth rod connection of some sort, presumably the other end of the wire

Name:	earth.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	266653

So, what ever other purposes the finial provides, be it mitigating bird "guano", or protecting the end-grain, it seems to me that their principle purpose is lightning protection. I just hope Ron's example hasn't got
a radioactive isotope inside

Earth-start domestic lines (party-lines) were consigned to history by the end of the '60s around here, but it occurs to me that a linesman perched on top of the pole would need a convenient earth to test those lines.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 23rd Oct 2022 at 2:55 pm.