View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2022, 2:46 pm   #22
inaxeon
Pentode

Default Re: Does anyone know anything about "Modulation Depth"? (Philips PM5680)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I did indeed.

The thing with a modular system is that you don't have to have all the modules available from the start that it might eventually use. They may never have done a NICAM module, but it is quite likely that they left the door open for one if they later changed their mind.

David
I've done extensive teardowns and analysis of Philips NICAM modulation system from the same era as the PM5680 on my website. It would be physically impossible to cram their solution into a single card slot like that. It actually has three cards that size, and that is not including the CPU board, clock generator and directional IF coupler.

Probably by the late 1990s such a development would be possible with the help of LSIs and surface mount components but there is still a problem as the audio inputs on the rear of the unit are such that it's one input per card as would be typical for Zweiton so physical modification would be required. By that time PTV were working on DVB-T solutions anyhow.

For the benefit of erasing any doubt here is a spec sheet for the PM5680:

https://xpander.mattmillman.com/file...5680_Specs.pdf

All of the options are listed.