View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2017, 5:09 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Varnish on top of oil, for high dialectric strength and looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
One option is to test the oil you are using, linseed or low molecular weight transformer oil (which you can scavenge out of car ignition coils if you don't have any on hand) to see if it mixes with mineral turpentine (I think called white spirits in the UK) and I think both do.
I've been busy this afternoon, trying wood turpentine rather than mineral white spirits, as a mixture with the very light transformer oil. They mix beautifully and the turps is drawn into the litz wire very well.

I can see a trace of the mineral oil residue left on the ferrite core of the pulse transformer and this is a good thing, as it was troublesome with flashovers.
I think a few more coats and then it looks as though it will take marine varnish very well.

I am also applying this solution to the primary coil of my power resonator, where it will be part of the antiflashover measures I'm applying to the areas of highest voltage gradient at RF. This includes a ring of silicon sleeving which superficially looks waterproof but in fact 'takes' the turps/oil solution rather nicely.

The residue is also very pleasing to look at as it is highly glossy and lustrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
The main thing to remember is that "like mixes with like" so non polar hydrocarbon chemicals tend to mix with each other, and polar compounds, including water mix with polar compounds.

(One interesting thing, more substances dissolve in water than any other solvent, so never underestimate the cleaning power of a lightly damp cloth which also has a low risk of attacking plastics).
Really good point there about the value of water!