View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2017, 9:33 pm   #18
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Vintage Television Technology.

And here is the RCA KRK-226 UHF tuner of 1975:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA KRK-226.PNG
Views:	199
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	152158

It was RCA’s first, and I think the first UHF tuner anywhere to use a dual-gate mosfet RF amplifier, foe which a 10 to 20 dB reduction in cross-modulation was claimed.

There was a preceding UHF varactor tuner that used a grounded base bipolar RF amplifier. The grounded base IF preamplifier in the KRK-226 was a carryover from this previous model, so one may infer that the use of a mosfet in this position was not justified.

The KRK-226 was intended to work with the KRK-228 VHF tuner, also of 1975, with the UHF IF going to the mixer, not the RF amplifier:

Name:	RCA KRK-228.PNG
Views:	135
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	152159

This was RCA’s first VHF tuner to use a dual-gate mosfet in the mixer position, for which it claimed a 10 to 20 dB reduction in channel 6 colour beat. RCA wasn’t though the first to use dual-gate mosfets in both the RF amplifier and mixer positions. Others, I think including Zenith and Magnavox, got there first.

The preceding VHF varactor tuner would have used a cascode bipolar mixer. The latter goes back at least to the KRK-142 of 1968. This was a switch tuned unit that was the first anywhere to use a dual-gate mosfet as RF amplifier:

Name:	RCA KRK-142.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	152160

The cascode bipolar mixer may have had earlier use, I’m not sure. As far as I know, preceding the KRK-142 was a top-end VHF tuner that had a nuvistor RF amplifier and a bipolar mixer; the latter may well have been of the cascode type.

The KRK-132 UHF IF input was to the RF amplifier, and it was designed to work with the KRK-132 UHF tuner, which was probably similar to the KRK-120.

Cheers,