View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:42 pm   #52
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard 5-10 amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post

This means you may have to rewire your replacement smoothing caps and earth them to the bus bar as originally done rather than taking the negative connection to the nearest chassis point. You'll have charging pulses all over the chassis otherwise.
...and that also emphasises the point I made. When I built two of these back in 1970 they were the type without controls since I built the matching pre-amps to go with them. I made sure that they were built as close as possible to the original Mullard layout and had no problems.

Delighted that you have sorted it out....just sit back and enjoy. Everyone thought I was old-fashioned using valve amps in 1973 but they did admit that they took a lot of beating....especially when a very 'critical' friend brought his copy of 'Dark Side Of The Moon' round for me to check since he was unhappy with the bass response on one particular track. He had a top Marantz amp at the time...the 5-10s took it in their stride with floor-rumbling bass (using Leak Sandwich 600's). The Marantz just couldn't handle it...I think the power supply was the weak link.