Thread: Perf board
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 9:44 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Perf board

..as in 'perforated' boards.

A recent thread on the use of op-amps mentioned the problems that can arise from using veroboard in HF circuits and high gain circuits but what are the practical limitations of the various types of perf board that are around?

I ask on the basis that I'm hoping to use a type of perf board that comprises individual holes on a 0.1" matrix - the copper is in the form of individual, isolated, square pads whilst the reverse is a full copper coat.

The intention is to build an HF receiver circuit based on the NE612 with a 4.9MHz IF and use the copper plane as a ground. Components will be laid on the 'pad' side and earthing achieved by soldering thru-hole wires to the plane.

I can achieve incredible component density using this technique (standard components, no SMD) and the small size is a particular requirement hence the reason for this method.

Will this arrangement be adversely affected by the use of such perf board? Would I have to remove the unused 'lands' to increase stability or any other construction techniques?

What are the limitations of the usual perf boards we find in common use?