View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2019, 9:28 am   #50
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Colour TV in UK in 1966-surely not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmadham View Post
i believe the UK went to colour in 1967---Oz went in 1975, some 8 years later.

In the leadup to the changeover in Australia, it was common practice to transmit Chroma, but not send colour bursts, so it would appear as B&W on a colour TV.

A few clever lads (maybe lasses as well), found they could produce colour with this signal using a "chroma lock" circuit which locked to the picture chroma.

This varied in complexity from a box with a full PCB of components, down to a CR network tacked across some appropriate part of a Philips K9 CTV.

At the TV site where I worked, we were hard at work, trying to drag our 1959 Marconi TV transmitters into the "colour era", so were interested in what our signals looked like in colour.

As well as the rack mounted test receiver, we had a domestic Philips K9 fed from a probe point on the antenna feed.

We performed the mod on this, & after a bit of fiddling, were rewarded with a nice colour picture.

There was one problem, sometimes it would lock up "out of phase", so when watching "Pot Black", the felt was brown, whilst the woodwork & players were green!

I don't think we were spectacularly more inventive in Oz, so there is the distinct possibility that someone may have used the same trick in 1966 in the UK.
I remember seeing colour TV in Canberra in 1972. It was in one of the shops and a placard said it was a test transmission from the TV tower on a nearby hill (mountain). Must admit I didn’t give it much interest as I’d seen it all before a few years earlier in the UK.

Interesting about transmitting colour without the burst. Not heard of that before and I don’t think it was done in the UK, but I could be wrong.