View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2019, 8:45 am   #47
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Colour TV in UK in 1966-surely not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
BBC2 was transmitting colour for quite a while before the official opening announcement in June for the Wimbledon Tennis. Pre June the transmissions were aimed for the trade and were not official programmes.
I remember that much being true. I was only 14 in 1967 but my older brother (some 14 years older) had been working in the Trade since leaving school in the 50's. In 1966 he was working for Radio Rentals and myself and my mother went to the Trade Show in London, Earls Court. There were lots of colour TV's on show before transmissions started and of course they were all being heavily promoted for the imminent start-up. GEC, Philips, all the Thorn range (2000 chassis) and others were on show.

We were stunned by the quality of some of the sets and have to admit that Thorn and Philips seemed to have nailed it quite early on. I remember seeing 'The Home Made Car' test transmission film and it's still one of my favourites.

Unfortunately the reliability of some sets was questionable.....there were quite a few with the backs off with a number of engineers peering inside them....I actually found that quite interesting!

Last edited by Sideband; 10th Nov 2019 at 8:53 am.