View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2018, 1:14 pm   #52
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

The only problem with selling at an antiques or house clearance auction are the deductions. They usually charge a listing fee then commission on the hammer price and if the set has a plug on it they will also charge for a pat test even if the radio is sold as not working.
My mate entered a couple of radios and a radiogram in a local auction. They made fair money for what they were but by the time the deductions had been taken he ended up with just over half the hammer price I think.

I think rare and valuable stuff pretty much makes it's money at the BVWS auctions, pre war TV sets, crystal sets and Decca radiograms spring to mind that points to collectors being there and being prepared to pay for what they want.

More Common stuff like TR82s Dac90a s and tatty 1950s woodies maybe don't go for much because most people with a collection have enough already I know I have...
That said I enjoy buying the odd unloved set cheap and bringing it back to life I bought a Bakelite GEC from the last Harpenden bring and buy for £4 and really enjoyed refurbing it. Once it was finished it was cheap enough for me to give it away to a mate who wanted an old radio for his shed/den.
He wouldn't have got it if it had been an expensive or rare set. So there is a market I suppose for everything.

I want to go to Wooton B there is one thing I fancy in the auction.. I don't really have the room... I don't really need it and it's my other half's birthday on that Sunday so the odds are against me...

Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 28th Jun 2018 at 1:22 pm.