Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 1:34 am   #194
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Lately, HMRC have been making noises about how (mostly) Chinese online sellers holding stock in UK are evading vat, and maybe other taxes??
It is also claimed that genuine UK business is unable to compete. I suspect this is true for quite a few of them. Sooner or later there should be a clampdown on the exploitation of our import and tax avoidance. It will make it dearer for you and I, and millions of others, but should help our own genuine UK business to survive on a level playing field. I will not elaborate further, so as to avoid any breach of forum rules regarding politics.
In a way, such enforcement might just possibly have helped Maplin survive.
On a slightly different angle, it amazes me how I bought 2 weller type sponges from China for less than 40p delivered direct from China in 3 weeks or so.
Unfair trade and postal subsidies is all I think is the reason. I realise also that I am part of the problem by buying them! Again, Maplin would never have been able to compete. Maplin is the victim of these unfair imports unfortunately.
Rob
BUT, then again, perhaps Maplin is a victim of the beancounter mentality, where shop stock depends on sales. e.g. I'd like to buy an ABS enclosure ( Plastic box). AH- it's only available mail order, shop stocks have been stopped.
Maplin price for the item is circa £1.5. Carriage = £2.99. Total = £4.49, and comes after a delay. I could buy it at RS ( LOCAL DEPOT), where I buy on line and collect tomorrow, but it's dearer.
Argos & other stores have this sorted. It's called "click & collect". Buy on line, and item is sent to store of choice at no extra cost.