Old 9th Sep 2011, 11:42 pm   #107
Amraduk
Hexode

Default Re: 4 Digit Up/Down Counter IC?

Hello Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
No problem; 3 or 4 digits is easy...
I thought it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Quote:
...(it's probably not worth modifying the code - just don't wire up the 4th unit).
Do you mean the 4th seven-segment display (1000,s)? If the code is for 4 digits, the count would continue with that digit and it wouldn't roll-round to zero until the count reached 9999.

Suppose the count had reached (1)000 for the first time, the hidden count would be 1000, then every time the hidden count incremented by 1 (every 1000 counts), the visible count would be 000 but the hidden count would be: 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. up to (1)0000, equivalent to 0000. That doesn't seem right to me, or am I overlooking something?

Quote:
Dividing down is also easy - just let me know what you want (or have a go yourself )
Well, you've done all the work so far (in spite of saying you didn't have the time! ), so you may as well finish it! I can always play around with it afterwards.

Quote:
Good luck find suck small 7-segment displays
I found some 7-segment displays where four would have fitted in to the 30mm x 7mm window, so three should just fit in 22.5 mm, however, if I wanted to use four digits, I might have a problem finding small enough ones!

Regards,

Dave.