View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 2:28 pm   #49
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Damaged vintage variac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Plusgas is a similar viscosity to WD40 - it has to be so that it can creep.
I expected as much and those cans with tips do not appear to be supplied with a cap? The aerosol seems significantly cheaper but does not appear to come with one of those thin applicator tubes. The only place I can find the stuff is on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
To be honest though, the reason it has gone tight on the shaft is probably due to the phenolic shaft swelling - be warned that this may well end up going horribly wrong if too much force is applied.

a proper puller is best, you can apply a constant pressure to the shaft, and hopefully this controlled method will be kinder to the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
I have a couple of these 8A jobs. One came very corroded, and the 'plastic' tube in the middle had swollen and gone very tight - I think they swell if they are stored anywhere other than dry....
Mark
I didn't think that kind of material could well, but that certainly might explain a lot. The residues would seem to indicate that it has been somewhere damp at some point but perhaps not extremely so. I share your concern about things going horribly wrong, bit with the insulating shaft and the metal components. I did have a puller somewhere but I have not done any work on cars in a long time. I'm not sure whether I still have it, but I will try and dig it out and see if it can be put to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
The attached sketch illustrates how I think the whole thing goes together and comes apart. You will notice that drawing was not one of my better subjects at school. Hope it helps anyway. Good luck!

Alan
Thanks for that sketch. After you mentioned the collar, that is how I now see it. Hopefully I might have some time later to have a crack at it.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 9th Dec 2019 at 2:38 pm.