View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2019, 4:54 pm   #42
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Damaged vintage variac

I will make the decision on replacing the brush nearer when it comes to re-assembly, which may be some time yet as everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly and re-painted before it can be re-assembled. This will give me some time to think about it, although I am now inclined to go with the 'leave well alone' advice until proven otherwise.

The top plate and rotator are made of aluminium/mu-metal or similar. The insulating material I think is phenolic resin. I initially thought it might be Bakelite, but not sure.

I seem to remember PlusGas being mentioned before. I don't have any, or anything similar, so just used what I had to hand. I did wonder about thinning some cycle oil with with white spirit? Regarding PlusGas, which to go for: the spray can or the 'oil can' with the nozzle? I am inclined to go with the the nozzle as that would make it easier to direct the fluid rather than using a spray can, but I am a little worried about the potential for spillage if the consistency is as thin as WD40? Sorry but I have not used PlusGas so am not familiar with its properties.