Thread: Hamfest Newark
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2019, 5:15 pm   #17
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Hamfest Newark

Yes, £75 per table for 2 days is correct afaik. Having been told that by 4 traders.
In reality, prices compare extremely well (cheaper?) with the very early 90s. Picketts Lock and Donington Park shows, where it was £60 a table for the 2 days. Picketts lock was also another £20 quid for a power socket as well!
At Newark, one seller was complaining about what large discounts the big boys got. How he knew that, I don't know, but it makes sense for RSGB to do that for National traders who must spend 10s of thousands on advertising with them and are an attraction for the "black box" enthusiasts.
On another note, I had a chat at St Neots rally recently with 2 separate youngish visitors, both stated that if it were not for the flea market at Newark, they would not go. Nor would I!!
Newark would not happen without the great help from local clubs who provide volunteer labour and stewards for a donation to help their own club funds. Lincoln, Spalding and Grantham are just three clubs I am aware of. Apologies if I have missed out other clubs or organisations that assist. It is much appreciated.
A comment by Sean earlier mentioned Woburn rally of years ago. Yes, I remember it well and it was a nice day out. However, at about what was probably the last rally there, the officious attitude by an rsgb rally official toward members wanting the flea market tables in the small marquee was something to be experienced.
I remember his attitude when he forbid sellers to enter the small marquee to set up. He said to wait until just before the official opening time. This was despite the tables being all set up and ready to use. In the end, sellers just took it on themselves to just go ahead and set up, which worked. He was not amused by his loss of authority over the fleamarket sellers!
However, the (older) main rally organiser was a true gentleman and very nice to deal with. Sorry, I cannot recall his name. Norman comes to mind?
Rob