View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2021, 7:44 pm   #19
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: When were switches first used on mains sockets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
My house was built post-war in the early 1950s. Brown GEC bakelite 13 amp (BS1363) unswitched sockets were fitted. Only twelve of them, all singles (three bed semi)
>>
>>
12 sockets - That was a luxury!
My parent's similar type / period house, only originally had 5. And most were for running wall-mounted heaters (& 2 inch gaps between the bars of the 'guard'!) - as no central heating.
The smallest bedroom had none and kitchen only had one on the cooker circuit. The wiring was all diagonal point-to-point, to minimise on cable. And cooker / immersion heater had 2-core twin cable with extra bare-metal earth wire. But the bakelite sockets did all have switches.
So there were loads of spurs tacked-on over the years, before I set about re-wiring it all back on proper ring-circuits after starting on upstairs lighting to remove the diagonal wires remove the joists to allow boarding of the loft.

Whereas my first late-1960's house had a few non-switched sockets (including one you plugged the Immersion heater into, as alternative to gas fire back-boiler).
I think some house also used ones for plugging storage heaters into a dedicated Economy-7 timer-controlled circuit.