View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2020, 12:43 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Speaker Cabinet build and covering

Hello all

Hopefully this request is allowed. The speaker in question is being supplied by a forum member and it will be used to amplify a 30 year old guitar, the design of which dates back to the 50s... hopefully that's vintage enough

I plan to build a speaker cabinet to house a 12" speaker. It needs to be quite tight as I am doing all I can to save space.

I think I know how it can be constructed, but I would be interested in any particular designs forum members would recommend. My woodwork skills cover sawing, drilling, screwing and gluing - nothing fancy or beyond basic!

My main question relates to covering. Does anyone have recommendations for a good covering material? I envisage covering each side of the cabinet before screwing it together - that seems easiest to me. My skills in this area are limited to cutting and sticking so I want to keep it simple.

I want it to look vintage without going down the "relic" route (that's the practice of charging more to bash new gear up in the factory to make it look older than it is).

Martin