Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2017, 7:58 pm   #17
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

This week I needed three control knobs for a project and the ones at this link to R.S. looked suitable. A pack of five for £3.67 plus VAT = £4.40, with free P&P, so that’s £0.88 each. (3585 in stock for next day free delivery). Ordered yesterday, they arrived today. Sure, I’ve got two left over, but they’ll come in useful one day:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potent...knobs/2597045/

I didn’t bother checking if Maplin had anything similar, but given this thread, I just have done. These would have suited:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/fluted-knob-k7c-yx03d

I’ve checked the stock in the local store, and predictably, they have just one in stock at £1.59. Three = £4.77 plus £2.96 P&P online. I guess I could have ordered them into the store on a click and collect basis, then when they arrive, have a ten mile round trip to collect them. Why would anyone want to do that? I’m not having a pop at Maplin – I’m just telling it like it is. Anyone who sees the firm as a component supplier for electronic hobbyists isn't on the same page as Maplin. They need to ditch the bits and focus on their core business. If they don't, de-stocking will happen by default as indeed it is, little by little.

If you need half a dozen items and they only have two of them, you end up buying none and look elsewhere. They don't stock germanium diodes and why would they? Who can blame them - zero demand except from the likes of us to replace a duff OA90 or whatever detector diode in an old Bush/Roberts/Hacker car boot sale 'squawk box'. Not a problem when you can get twenty 1N34s (as Elecktor would call them 'DUG's' - 'Diode Universal Germanium') from a UK ebay supplier for £2.99. One click to buy, another for paypal, all sorted in a minute or so.

I do have to say that whenever I've popped into Maplin’s for a browse if I’ve got time to kill and am passing a store in Hull, Putney, Kingston on Thames, Sheffield, Liverpool, Derby or Nottingham – all places that I visit from time to time - I’ve found the staff attentive, smartly dressed, unfailingly pleasant and as helpful as they can be, even if I come away empty-handed. The stores and displays are always neat and tidy and they deserve credit for that.