View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 11:18 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Ever Ready / Pifco / Trehawk front cycle lights

I'm sure there are a few members here who cycle - I know I love to go out when I can on my old bike (I'm not a carbon fibre frame racer type of rider).

One thing I see quite often - and at a low price - is old No.800 battery operated lights of different makes. These are well built, easy to use, give a good beam and good visibility - but the batteries are long discontinued. Plus the batteries never made good contact inside. I wanted to get these lights genuinely usable into the future, not just a white elephant.

I worked on this little problem and if anyone is interested, I can share what I did and where I got the parts (with photos etc). I have two, one of the Ever Ready models with twist switch on the top (I fitted this with two Eneloop AA batteries) and one Trehawk - which I fitted with 18650 batteries, metalwork for the bulb rear contact, regulator circuit and 3 Watt bulb. I have this on my bike now.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else, but you can get these lights running again and better than new. I personally feel that they are better than LED models as the visible bulb gives 'placement' to the bike in dark conditions, whereas LED's are just a bright mass with little placement for other road users and pedestrians - especially those with impaired vision.

I know 800 to 2D adapters were made, but I have not had much luck with these as the contacts bend easily over bumps and ruts.