View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 10:26 am   #61
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Nearly a Sobell 1000 DST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
The boost voltage will of course have been checked and within the range specified in the manual. Personally speaking I prefer to set it towards the lower end if full width is maintained in the interest of preserving the LOPT. I was shouted down on another forum for suggesting that once but is my own opinion.
Good morning,
The range of boost adjustment, on 625 was between 750 - 790V. The book says set to between 750 and 770V 'or damage to the line output stage will result'!! On 625 the width was on the wide side and so the boost was set to 755V. On 405 the width was narrower and so the boost control needed to be set higher. What difference the 'set boost' control has on the EHT, I don't know, but like you, I would tend to think that a lower setting would be safer!!
I'll make some more detailed measurements this evening with the EHT meter and the infra-red thermometer (rather than my finger!!). It doesn't help that I can't really adjust the linearity sleeve properly which also has a big effect on the width.
All the best
Nick