View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 4:17 pm   #54
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Hi,

Many thanks for the kind comments Lawrence and Dave; I hope my notes encourage others to have a go.

Many radio or TV cabinets will only have a tired finish and not require veneer work. Such a cabinet would make an ideal first French polishing project and if finished using the rubbing method would not take too long to accomplish.

The skills are not difficult to learn but once the first French polishing job is completed the process becomes addictive.

This clock case is made of solid softwood with a walnut veneered face. The front top panel was badly cupped and the softwood backing had many splits; when the veneer was removed the panel broke into two parts. In order to make a proper job of the restoration I replaced the entire top panel but used very old 1/2" thick plywood. Both case sides and front top panel were then re-veneered; hide glue was used throughout.

To do French polishing in a home workshop is very cheap regarding materials. Take this clock case as an example; the most expensive item was the new walnut veneer and even this was cheap enough at £11.20 inc. VAT for two sheets of Australian Walnut 900mm x 200mm. The water based Vandyke stain was made at home; the hide glue and the shellac was left over from other jobs; throw in three sheets of abrasive paper and I bet the lot didn't cost over £20. I always have hide glue; stain and shellac in stock and I just top up as required.

As Dave kindly says I do go from strength to strength because I keep learning a bit more and pick up new techniques with every cabinet restoration I do; yes I've had a great deal of frustration along the way but it has always been enjoyable; I did not have the skills when I first started but I have a lot of patience. I never thought I would reach the level of competence to attack a friends antique clock case the way I attacked this one and succeed in restoring it; please see the picture below; this is the front panel that I replaced with plywood and compare with the restored case; practice and patience will also work for you too enabling you to pull off similar restorations.

My next big project is to re-veneer a large Murphy TV cabinet for another friend and I hope to add the story in another thread in due course.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Removing veneer from top panel..jpg
Views:	327
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	55943