View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2021, 12:34 am   #4
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: Head demagnetizer cassette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
Thanks Nick - I may take you up on that. I will need a cassette deck first of course (I have plans for one when we move house).

But yes, I'm not remotely scientifically minded, but I am intrigued as to how the cassette might work. They claim it does on the packaging, so you'd expect that it had to by law...
By law? We are talking about the audio industry here...where firms can charge you hundreds for a rock that sits by your hifi, 'absorbing' stray magnetic fields...

In terms of demagnetising, for a product that must cost under £2 to make (OEM margin, distro, shop, VAT), I can't see it being effective. If people debate whether pro-grade, mains-powered demagnetisers even have an effect (in the cassette world - not studio, where they are de-facto), then will a magnet in a product that cost under £2 to make do something?

Do you have a scope + oscillator? If you record a 15KHz sine @ -10, then play it back on your walkman, pre and post usage of this device, and you see an increase in level, I will eat my hat live on Youtube.

In the 70s and 80s, cleaning tapes that contained a fabric tape, which one wetted with alcohol, were common. Personally, I always felt they were useless, and if anything, the deck sounded worse after using one. When the Allsop 3 cleaner came along it was an absolute revelation. Better than cotton buds, as it cleaned everything evenly by default.

Sorry if I'm pouring water on your fire.

NB - make sure to learn the technique before you use Nick's demag. It's very easy to damage a head with one.