View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2021, 8:17 am   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Bendix Washing machine

My parents had a Bendix washer/drier that's a bit like the one you describe. It as a model DRS, the DR being the washer-only verson. The controls were somewhat conical on a sloping panel at the top rear, IIRC they were the drier thermostat, the water heater thermostat, the (mechanical)timer/programmer and a dual concentric control with the water level as the top knob (mechanically coupled to the pressure switch) and hot/warm wash (basically heater enable) on the bottom. Two indicator neons, yellow for the drier heater and red for the water heater. Between the 2 pairs of controls was the drier filter which fitted either way round to select washing or drying.

There was a flap on top to put the soap powder in. The door had a mechanical sliding catch (not any screw-down thing), with a microswitch to cut the mains to the machine if the door was open.

And yes it had to be bolted to the floor. The drum was rigidly fixed to the chassis so the whole machine would vibrate when spinning.

It was very well made. A capacitor-start induction motor to power it. There was a feedback line from the centrifugal starting switch which held up the timer until the motor was up to speed. The drain pump was on the front of the motor with a spring-loaded graphite shaft seal (a similar seal was used for the main drum shaft...). A solenoid-operated valve on the front of the pump was energised when it drained. On the back of the motor was a 2 speed gearbox with a solenoid to select the faster speed. Normal for washing, high speed for spinning.

Although it no longer works, when I moved house I brought it with me and it's still in the garage. I feel it needs to be restored one day.