View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2019, 1:32 am   #28
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Midland 77-805 Portapak transmit issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Techman, if you happen to drive by: Would you mind measuring the resistance between PCB 0V and the metal chassis on your Portapak?
Yes I did earlier when I spotted this post and measured it. I had to go out and have only got back in a while ago and have just had something to eat. My set is wrapped in cardboard for jamming down the side of the seat in the car and has a plug on the power lead to plug into the car fag lighter socket. So I can confirm that from the outer connection on the fag lighter plug to the outer metalwork of the set there is not much more than a fraction of an ohm, so PCB 0V to chassis is a hard wired connection within the rig.

When I first got this set many years ago, it had a fault in the mic/speaker lead close to the mic head end. I cut into it with a sharp scalpel and joined the offending wire and re-insulated it with tape. Although this worked, there was a problem with a rustling and scratching noise when the cable was moved. There was nothing wrong with the connections and all insulation had been done properly. The only cure was to cut the cable off at the fault and straighten out a few turns of the curls with heat and then cooling to give another 6 - 8 inches of fresh wire and completely rewire it into the mic head. I seem to remember that there was screening in the cable and it was disturbing this that I think had originally caused the noise in the cable.