View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 9:57 pm   #21
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: Midland 77-805 Portapak transmit issue

Hello Sirius,

I was meant to reply a couple of days ago, logged on very briefly, but got distracted with with kids & chores as usual.

I recall looking at the mic' socket & seeing a short solid core wire soldered from the ground (C) pin, to what looked like a metal lug right at the top of the socket (capacitor common point) - presumably the metal barrel recess that the din plug enters.

I checked continuity between the common pin to the chassis with my meter and it continuously beeped, so there was little to no resistance & connected to the chassis some way.

I'm pretty sure the aforementioned lug is connected directly to the metal chassis, but never looked close enough.

I just ordered a mixed bag of Ceramic Cap's, and I would expect them to arrive on Monday or Tuesday next week, so will report back when I've attempted the cure.

Do you think putting the 0.047 > 0.1uF capacitor into the socket at the front will have the same effect as installing internally, or would I be better doing the latter & soldering it across the existing 0.01uF Cap'?

If this method fails to work, I'll obtain some Ferrite beads, however, there are numerous variants out there & I wouldn't be certain on which specification to buy.

I'll have a closer inspection of the mic socket lug common point when the capacitor order arrives, then that way I can kill 2 Birds with 1 stone.

In the meantime, have a nice weekend, & I'm grateful as always for your patience & technical input.

Last edited by Damo666; 19th Oct 2019 at 10:03 pm.