View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2019, 11:35 am   #109
Croozer
Pentode

Default Re: Philips BX281U20 valve radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
All the HT current doesn't flow through R1...
Thanks Lawrence.
Indeed it does not. I altogether missed the line running off the bottom of the diagram to the output valve anode and drawing the heaviest current of the lot.

If possible its always worth doing the sum in more than one way to catch errors.

PS Chris - Ive been re-reading previous posts with an eye to what you said about learning and preassumptions we make when we post (eg. apologies i should have said I =current), esp. Post 93 when you posted voltage measurements.

On re reading that post it occurs to me that it may be worth mentioning that a voltage isn't a property or value which one point or pin has by itself. A voltage is another way of saying 'potential difference ' and a difference is a property -like distance -which can only exist between two points.

As a current flows through a conductor (eg a heater or a resistor) a voltage (or potential difference) occurs between one end of the conductor and the other, so a voltage has the property of size and the property of the two points between which it exists (like distance).

The greater the current, and the greater the resistance, the greater the voltage difference between each end of the conductor. (This is ohms law V=I xR)

Apologies if this is 'old ground' or unnecessary, but i am conscious of taking knowledge for granted.