View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:12 am   #1
Venom1234
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cord for Melody maker 494c tips about valves wanted

Just restoring one which was left for dead in back of a wardrobe after a relative died.

Thanks for pointing me in direction of the cord replacement. Took me a while but done that and can tune all ok.
I looked at another post of capacitor changes etc.
This actually works fine apart from a small fault and the fact I need to resolder lamp as wire just fell of the soldering !

I dont know much about valves so I hope you can see this picture.

Basically I was getting no radio channels at all.

Then when I moved radio worked ok.

This was not to do with aerial but seems to be this valve with red arrow.

Seems like a lose connection as if I wobble it a bit works fine. I have put it in and out and still the same.

Do I need to replace it or clean contacts cant quite understand when it has legs why it would get no real connection.

I will follow the guide of how to clean chassis but thought would ask for advise in this valve before I start cleaning the chassis.

I also see I should get a new mains cable and something to hold it down for safety. If everything else works and I can fix this valve and lead and will leave at that.

I also did not realise these valves were symmetrical, and seem to fit any way round back in the hole. I noticed there was like a marl on chassis and valve and I assume they need lining up ?

Unless people advise there is anything else I need to do ? Its real quite nice sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_231109.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	183682