View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2019, 4:08 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Compaq deskpro 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALKINGWITHPYE View Post
Hi. Can anyone guide me as to how to access the BIOS on this machine? It runs Windows 95 and pressing F5 F8 F10 DEL won't let me in. I am trying to help a friend in England by supplying him with a 650M hard drive, but I forgot about setting up the BIOS. I am in Northern Ireland.
Unfortunately this fits into the gap between me having Compaq machines up to 486 at work, and selling Compaqs to clients when they opened up the NZ distribution channel (and even then I mainly did HP).

The 2000 covers quite a wide range of products - Pentium, Pentium MMX, Pentium Pro and Pentium II. See here for details. Because of the wide range of products (on top of processor type, memory could be either FP SIMMs or SDRAM DIMMs) you may find issues with support for drives larger than 512 MB depending on model.

HP no longer seem to have support info this model - in APJ at least. Both Product Bulletin and their website cut off with the EP/EN series from around the turn of the century. Based on what Terry has said, if you don't have the original CD your best course of action may be to clone the existing drive. It seems slightly unusual that there's no configuration in the BIOS, I'm sure our older Prolinea 486s at E&Y in the day had that. The DeskPro 386 machines needed a configuration disk though.