View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 9:58 am   #23
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Small Workshop Air Compressor £67

Back in the 80s I often went to Brian Bamber Anglia Industrial Auctions at Littleport near Cambridge. Some may remember him from the Leicester shows or his ads in radio mags.
He used to buy factory and surplus gear and auction it himself. He could make a subject of another thread as I am sure some on here would have seen him. A great character.
I always remember often joking with him about a cylinder similar to a pub CO2 one propped up near the doors. It never sold. Attached was a label "Return to Porton Down"!
One auction I bought a lot of 8 (I think) brand new school laboratory grade 240v diaphragm compressors that had a variable regulator, gauge and filter. Uk made (Charles Austen Pumps i think) and really nice. Ok for about 35psi and ideal for airbrushes. I kept one and took the rest to a train collectors fair at Kettering and sold the lot before the doors even opened! Well pleased. I bought a couple of locos and still went home with more cash than I took.
At a local rally about 5 years ago, there was a vanload of gear being sold from a SK estate. As he was packing up the few unsold items, I started examining a small compressor with tank, gauge and regulator that had not been sold. "Give us a tenner and its yours" he said.
I didn't hesitate. I dont think it ever had a lot of use. The pressure switch cutoff is I think 100psi. Used only occasionally, mostly for blowing dust away.
Rob