View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2020, 8:53 am   #20
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Duxford Radio Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
BTW anyone with an H2S system would do well to try to reconstruct the original H2S training simulator, which cleverly used ultrasonics operating at the original IF frequency and operated in a tank for water to accurately model the performance of the microwave part of the system, thereby allowing a tiny scale model of the terrain to be scanned "for real".
Quite right. Indeed I think its the only way to go with H2S if you want to demonstrate the system working. And Andy has a friend who got close to constructing one, but apparently balked at the cost of the ultrasonic transducers, which I think operate at 2MHz. They would be specials, and as I vaguely recall would have cost well over £1k each some 10 years ago or more.

And further, Andy and I were part of a small organisation that had ownership of a complete H2S - bar the scanner - and looked seriously at making one of these tables. Or rather hoping to find an original still in existence. Frustratingly at least one person - a surplus dealer near Coventry (who's name escapes me right now) - claimed to have had one of these tables, but he left it out in the rain and it was scrapped. Or at least, it never turned up after he died and mountains of his stuff was auctioned off.

Another possible lead would be the very large "cupboards" of the Science Museum, for which access is reportedly near impossible - might just have one still tucked away.......

But the enthusiasm for projects on this scale is very meagre in the UK I think. Its not a project for a lone operator - its needs a group with substantial resources of money, time and expertise - not to mention that "room" that Andy points out would be needed!

Richard