View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2020, 9:44 am   #15
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: History of the Reception Set R. 209 MkI

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The late-40s vintage ITT_Creed RTTY gear I worked with [in the 70s] shut-down the motor when the thing wasn't actually receiving a message. Convention was to send a line of BEL characters at the start of a message to give the hardware a time to spin-up [and to wake-up the inevitably-sleeping printer-custodian].

I wonder what TU the R209's IF-Out was intended to feed?
"TU" = "Teleprinter Unit" I presume? I had a quick look in the WS53 chapter of WftW, thinking that it would likely provide the definitive answer. It doesn't. It refers to something known as "Receiver Adapter Field CFS", which had a separate power unit known as "Supply Unit Rectifier DC/AC No.3". There's a pic of an installation in a 1-ton truck showing a couple of teleprinters, but I am not expert enough on such things to recognise them. That's probably a question for another thread.

What I did note though was that both the WS53 and R209 (it mentions Mk.2, but it probably applies to Mk.1 also) needed to be modified for CFS operation (this also applies to the R107 and AR-88 in fact as mods are shown for all these receivers). The WS53 training notes include details of these mods. It also includes a complete schematic of the CFS Adapter by the way. I can't see an explanation as to why an R209, which has an IF output anyway, would need further mods.....

Richard