View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 4:50 pm   #36
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Who's still using their old Safebloc?

In these days of moulded-on plugs and everything using detachable IEC-connector leads or wall-warts, I guess my Safebloc last got used in the previous millennium!

[I think I've moved house twice since I'd last have used it - meaning it probably got thrown in the skip along with loads of other "I really can't be bothered paying to have this junk moved" stuff].

I do remember another 'thing' in the same vein as the Safebloc/KeyNector though: it had a T-shaped 'handle' with a cylindrical stem, which was hollow and coarsely threaded. There were slots/grooves in the cylindrical bit, which led from the central part to three metallic segments on the outer barrel. In use you pushed the stripped cable-ends into the T, down the tubular bit, and then bent the bared ends round into the grooves at the far end, so the bare ends lay on the metallic segments.

Then you pushed it into a hole in the fixed part of the thing, and gave it a 180-degree turn which caused the coarse thread to engage and draw it further into the fixed-part in which there were spring contacts that matched the 3 metal segments.

When the T-part was fully at the bottom of the hole in the fixed part, it activated a switch and you were 'Live'!

I'm truly glad that such horrors are now things of memory.