View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2019, 6:18 pm   #198
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Me thinks that the Duffer/power trip episode was unscripted. Maybe, just maybe, a fluorescent light was suspect, or another expert was powering up some equipment at the time. Thus, without a proper electrician on site, and the trip quickly re-set, they just let it pass. If they wanted to get a safety message over, they could've asked the duffer to tell us to always at least use a portable plug-in RCD, & check mains polarity & chassis earthing, and say oops - sorry.
We all banged on at the time about these programs being produced these days by private companies, and definitely don't use highly qualified filming site technicians/engineers which at one time the BBC was world renowned for. Old mannie Reith must be turning in his grave.
Yep, the film crew's equipment kept running. As I said a while back, I once work alongside proper BBC engineering /filming folk for a "Songs of Praise" program up here . Their huge mobile filming/lighting truck required an independant very thirsty 3Phase supply from Scottish Hydro-Electric. Far more juice was required than what a big thatched hobbit house(with a paltry 1 Phase supply) needed.

Regards, David