View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 11:20 pm   #15
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: Antenna recommendation for 40 and 80M bands

Yes, the RF feedback on my HF rig seems 100% caused by either the rig or microphone, because the distortion is noticed even when it is TXing to a dummyload.

I am waiting for other microphones to arrive for testing the audio problem.

But the CAPCO SPC 300 ATU does not have ladder line input. It is an earlier version with just one coax input. There is another input just next to the coax input, which looks like just a socket for a wire.

I also recall when running a G5RV for 40m, I cut the end of the twin line connector, and joined two lines into one, making it like a long wire, and connected that to WIRE input of the AT-230 Kenwood ATU. It worked OK on 80m at the time. The AT-230 was also a good tuner, but sold it off years ago. Not sure if the CAPCO can do that.

What about ground plane vertical antenna? Are they any good for 40 and 80M?
What are the goods and bads for the GP?

But yes, the dipole seems most easy option to try out, because I have the wire and also coax. It will cost me nothing to cut it and try out.

Any one fancy a SSB chat on 80M / 40M? when I cut the dipole for giving us reports? Please let us know here.

If it is not working for me well for environmental reasons such as too many overhead cables and trees and shrubs causing high SWR ... I don't know, but I think it would work OK. If not, then I could always try something else and compare.

Maybe we should make a 80M net for UK vintage radio forum. UVRF net or something like that on 80M or 40M?

Last edited by ORAWA01; 10th Sep 2019 at 11:28 pm.