View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 5:14 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default What components do you keep in stock for repairs etc.

I will admit to rarely passing up a bargain on the internet and consequently have oodles of stuff I'll never use - but cannot bring myself to dispose of. In the hope of a more sensible acquisition policy I wondered what other people buy and store? The list below excludes tools, solder and consumables (heatshrink, heatsink paste etc)

Typically I have for vintage radios, and modern gear work;

1) Standard resistor values in various wattage sizes up to 30 megs. Also 30 or 40 w/wound ones in various wattage sizes and resistance values

2) Most values of electrolytic and polymer/disk ceramic caps from 6 to 450volts. Philips beehive caps in large numbers (was a large box going cheap)

3) 30-40 toggle switches in various guises dpdt etc. I buy all the decent rotary switches I come across as they seem to be hard to find in the exact configuration for replacement.

4) A few hundred valves of various types - would expect to have common ones such as ECC82 in stock but nothing too extreme or old. For example no 6E5 magic eye.

5) 50 or 60 meters as they seem to always cost the earth when you go out to buy a specific one.

6) A small range of 20 - 30 mains and output transformers.

7) About 30-40 speakers ranging from sub min 30 ohms to more normal size 9 inch oval 8 ohms

8) 30 -40 reels of enamelled copper wire in various gauges from 42 to 21 swg

9) 40 + mains neons, 6 volt indicator bulbs.

10) a dozen or so of most minor items battery holders, fuses etc.