View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2018, 10:10 am   #18
brightsparkey
Pentode

Default Re: Repairing catalysed lacquer type finishes

Thanks for all the helpful replies on this subject. The veneer replacement looks like a nice job. You needed two sheets because veneers have gotten thinner over the years - modern veneer is 0.6mm thick, whereas in the 1950's usually about 1/32" or 0.8mm-ish

I've ordered some benzyl alcohol as a last attempt at solvents. Don't want to mess with anything nastier.

The first issue to address is damage to the substrate. The impact has squashed the chipboard on the top face and its then bulged out on the side. My plan is to undermine the veneer in that area until its flexible enough to be reshaped. I'll then press some right angle steel plated gentle onto the case and then inject a mixture of resin glue and sawdust into the voids.The resin used will be the foaming type. By applying a clamp to the back face the foaming adhesive should push the veneer surface against the steel with a bit of luck so that the corner will be square again.

In order to do this I will need to remove some of the shards of finish which would otherwise obstruct the reforming. If I can't dissolve then I will have to put up with gentle removal by mechanical means.

I'm hoping that the veneer will be presentable enough once straightened out in which case I can remove the finish in the general are, re-finish and rub back flat.

Its going to be a slow process, and I really need to get my workshop finished first. I'll be back in some months time! Thanks for the hints so far.

Kevin.