View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 10:37 pm   #6
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Best 100MHz analogue oscilloscope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianFletcher View Post
I don’t think you can really go wrong with an analog scope from Tek or HP. However I have wasted countless hour keeping these things up and running as they are getting old now and parts failure are common. In my opinion scope are horrible things to work on and the 465 especially. You may already have one but I’m going to commit the ultimate sin and say just buy a new rigol or siglent. If you haven’t tried a modern scope you will love the measurement feature and the warranty. Let the roasting commence!
It all depends on whether you enjoy repairing old 'scopes. For some it's part of the hobby.

I've shifted my position over the years. I've owned Tec 465's (etc) and kept them working. At the time when digital 'scopes were pretty grim, they were definitely worth considering .... even with the diabolically bad internal layout and lack of serviceability ease.

However, now digital 'scopes have come on in leaps and bounds and decent performance has descented down from instruments costing many thousands to instruments more affordable to the hobbyist. Unless you enjoy fiddling with old scopes, I would at least take a look at affordable digital scopes.