View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2020, 9:19 pm   #62
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Is Radio as we know it obsolescent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I realise that I'm probably exhibiting a 'so last century' frame of mind in my definition of 'radio as we know it'.

Like, I guess, so many of us, my stereo system consists of a stack of standard width modules, including pre-amp, tuner (FM/DAB), CD player, and - yes - cassette recorder. On top of course is the turntable. Though some units are reaching 'vintage' classification, everything performs pretty well, feeding the Quad 405 power amps.

Now, I'd like to integrate internet radio into that setup. But how?

Sometimes I mess around with my iPad, plugging the headphone output into a spare input on the pre-amp. Then I have to select the right app, and find the wanted station (no easy station presets). Now and again the iPad decides to send me one of its 'notification' sounds, which can be disturbingly impressive through the stereo speakers. Instead of being a straightforward entertainment system, my whole internet radio rig is instead akin to those experimental radios of the 1920s where the techie listener had to work to 'win' the required programme after a lot of fiddling.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? All I want is a standard width internet radio module that will sit on top of FM/DAB tuner, receive internet stations via the household wifi and plug into the stereo pre-amp so that I can switch to internet radio stations as readily as I do with DAB or FM.

Am I alone in my requirement?

Martin
Like another here, I use a Logitech Squeezebox "Touch" as my main radio source, admittedly it only does BBC R3 at 320k MP3 since the BBC altered its output, but I find it more than adequate for everyday listening through a decent Stereo system. It'll do a few other tricks if you were interested and generally I find it to be reliable and quick to "tune". We have an abysmal radio signal in our part of the Eden valley.
I had a quick check on eBay and there are a few variants of squeeze box out there and I am sure theres a few regulars on here can talk you through them.
Otherwise, theres always a Freeview box alternative with good quality feeds or freesat of your TV receiver which we also use for radio depending where in the house we are.
Hope that helps you Martin.

Andy.