View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2019, 6:54 am   #36
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Nakamichi bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
I forgot about that feature - it's the Dragon that chases its own tail with auto-azimuth on replay. Nice machine! Ignorance of azimuth errors didn't stop at producers, unfortunately - at an NPC which shall be nameless but is now demolished, I had trouble with a TA who couldn't understand why a splice out of line by 20 degrees went phasey. Actually, he couldn't even hear it when it was pointed out...
My impression is people find it much harder to notice audio faults than they do picture faults. Or at least the audio faults have to be a lot worse before they're noticed as a problem.

A related one seems to be excessively low expectations of "older" recordings. So, "Oh well, it's an old recording, what do you expect?" when often the old recordings are fine but they were transferred or processed inexpertly. The operators and managers can have no idea until an outsider notices the very poor quality of the digital files, and demonstrates what the tapes actually sound like compared to the inferior digitised copies.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 17th Dec 2019 at 7:03 am.