View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 11:49 pm   #16
Seidways
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: ALBA T14 - Grey Raster with Retrace Lines

"Being a beginner is certainly the hardest part of this hobby - time is the beginner's enemy!"

Couldn't agree more. Just takes both time and patience I guess to really get to know this stuff.

Most of the knowledge I have on CRTs applies mostly to VGA Computer Monitors, I find I get more practical use out of them thanks to the higher resolutions and refresh rates. They are awesome for PC Gaming. Not as sharp as an LCD but no input lag and they deliver black levels comparable to that of OLED. I'm lucky to own a Sony GDM-FW900, Best CRT I've ever laid eyes on, wouldn't pass it up for a 4K LCD any day :P I don't use it all too often though. maybe an hour or two a day at most? I want to keep the tube in good shape.

I've only recently dived into the more vintage television sets, really more of a novelty for me and a bit of fun to play around with. I'd like to collect some larger sets possibly in the future. It's just space that's an issue for me right now. Would love to get my hands on an early Trinitron, bit of a fanboy for Sony CRTs :/

"The priority for the manufacturers was to make a portable TV and cram all that technology in while keeping costs as low as possible"

I was surprised that my ALBA is even solid state to be honest :P Was expecting it to still be all valves or maybe a hybrid set as it's my understanding that it was still early days for transistorized televisions/radios in the early 70s and that solid state back then cost a premium.

Last edited by Seidways; 9th Dec 2017 at 12:04 am.