View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2022, 11:28 am   #67
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Haigh Wobbulator is there sufficient interest for a PCB?

Sorry about the long delay in reporting progress.
It shows the value of testing the pcb before requesting money or shipping.

The rf section just would not oscillate, it was "squegging", it would start to oscillate but would swiftly decay to a flat line.
I was afraid that the problem was with the coils not providing enough feedback to sustain oscillation but after a lot of headscratching it turned out to a duff batch of 2n3819s!

I substituted a BF256 I had left over from the Minimod project and it burst into life.

I will be supplying BF256s in the kit. They work well but have a different pinout so a certain lead jiggling is required, see the attached photo.

The coils I sourced cover the required frequency ranges.

In the original Haigh article the secondary coils are connected in series with the primary to increase the inductance. In my pcb I have made the connection between the lower end of the primary and top end of the secondary a link to give maximum flexibility in the choice of coils.
If the link is not required the lower end of the Primary is linked on the track side of the board to the 0V track alongside. In the pcb I have just tested the 3 lower frequency coils do not require the secondary and the primary is linked to 0V, the top range coil works best with the secondary in series and the link is fitted to the top side of the board. See the picture.

Never fit the link and short the primary to 0V as this will short out the primary.
A certain amount of experimentation may be required.

I also managed to miss a short piece of track that links CN5 to C10 and C11, sorry about that but a short piece of tinned copper wire fixes the problem.
I will provide instructions in the kit.

That means that I am finally ready to request payment and can ship the kits when the FETs arrive which should be by the weekend.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_122009.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	249497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_121429.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	249498