View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 9:04 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: National hamfest, 28-29 September

I didn't buy much either, just a few bits and pieces and some old books from the cheap book stall - 40p each or three for £1, regardless of size. I resisted buying any more valves that I don't really need, but may do sometime.

When I got there I spent far too long chatting to the chap that had the Murphy radios for sale on one of the first outside stalls. I found that yet again, although obviously a radio guy, who was telling me about various things he'd built using EF50 valves, he had absolutely no idea about the damage caused by a leaky grid coupling capacitor when telling me that his radios were serviced and working. I did concede that the original capacitor in question was of a reasonably decent quality in those Murphys, and although usually slightly leaky, then perhaps not quite such an immediate disaster as in some other sets. I find this a lot with folks that are 'old school' radio guys that don't frequent any internet forums, and have to confess that even I didn't appreciate the havoc these capacitors caused when in this particular part of the circuit until I joined this forum, due to it not being the problem in the distant past that it now is all these years later.

There was a basket case Eddystone receiver with no case for £20 that I noted had gone before I left. There was a Taylor 45 valve tester for £50 on one of the expensive stalls in the main building. It was quite tatty and something had been going on with the meter scale which seemed to be lifting and had been crudely taped down, but otherwise looked complete. It was next to a 2KW dummy load for £150 - both were still there when I left.

I seemed to think that there wasn't quite the amount of traders or even quantity of stuff being sold by those that were there as there was last time - a gradual decline, I think. Still a good event to go to all the same.