View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 2:10 am   #73
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

You've said the same sort of things that I've been thinking after having a more detailed look at the BVWS web-site, John.

I appreciate that it depends on volunteers to maintain but these days a web-site is the shop window for any organisation and there's a danger that somebody happening across it could think that it's for a society that no longer exists or on its last legs.

As for the Bulletin I was given a load of old issues some time ago and found the content varied. One or two I read more-or-less cover-to-cover, a slightly higher number contained nothing of interest and most had one or two articles to my taste; which appears to be similar to yours. What I found most frustrating were pages of "Pictures from the Harpenden Meeting" or some-such with no captions. This may well have been improved in recent years though.

I understand what you mean in your point 5. Some people have floated the idea of it becoming the British Vintage Radio Society but that could lead to confusion as to whether it's about vintage radios or vintage radio in a wider sense; for instance some type of group interested in old programmes.

There have been some good suggestions made in this thread but all fall down due to the problem that it's unlikely anybody will come forward to implement them voluntarily and obviously the Society can't pay for them to be done professionally.

Yes, I've criticised the web-site for being vague with out-dated content (though I have meant it to be constructive) and should offer to do something about it. However I don't have the knowledge, but dare say I could acquire it. What puts me off mainly however is the thought that anything I did would have to be approved by a committee after goodness knows how much debate and that would require more patience than I possess.

For the record Radio Bygones has been taken over by Radiophile, not the BVWS.

Last edited by ThePillenwerfer; 21st Sep 2018 at 2:18 am.