View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2023, 4:04 pm   #3175
Superscope
Octode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

So, there really is a Model 7 variant of the type D.

I finally got round to looking at that usual Type D based on a Model 7 Panel, that Phil kindly donated to me a while back.

The main thing I wanted to ascertain, is whether the 1mA Movement was original to the Meter and thus making this a unique Model in it's own right.

I found the Serial Number penciled on the ends of the Horseshoe Magnet and it indeed matches the serial on the Type D Scaleplate. I had wondered
if somebody had just put a 1mA movement in and retained the Type D Scaleplate.
Evidently not, the Model 7 Movement seems original to this Meter instead of the usual 2.5mA one.

Sadly, the movement is Low Flux, it's about 20% down on sensitivity, so I won't go further on restoring this until I have worked out the best way to
fix the movement.
To date, I have had no success restoring a low flux movement to normal, but that is still a work in progress.

Due to the poor state of the meter, it will take time to work out the actual differences from a stock Type D.

What is clear though, is that AWEECO used Model 7 parts to fabricate some Air Ministry Type D Meters.
We know of at least two that survive in the Forum, so it's fair to say many must have been made this way.

Perhaps that indicates just how much pressure AWEECO were under to get Air Ministry orders out of the Door in the early 40's

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090408.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	277480  

Last edited by Superscope; 28th Apr 2023 at 4:11 pm.
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote