View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2022, 11:07 pm   #1
regenfreak
Heptode

Default 6-gang FM stereo tuner heads

I had the idea of building a 6-gang FM tuner a couple of months ago after making a 3-gang FM valve tuner. I acquired three sets of 6-gang silver-plated, air variable capacitors that are spanking new in original boxes. The seller said they were ex-MOD items. I guess they were used in 2 meter band military communication equipment?

I am going to build two versions: (1) valve version and (2) dual gated mosfet version (see attached schematics). The designs are inspired by the top-end FM tuners in the 1970s that had 4 up to 9 gangs. My schematics do not copy the designs of any particular tuner but are just a cocktail of ideas from many designs. I just hope they will work somehow. 6-gang valve FM tuners did not exist and it was rare to have more than 4 gangs. The topology here is:

single tuning + double tuning + doubled tuning

This is really a learning journey for me. I still consider myself a newbie, only taking up the hobby in 2018. I don't have a real spectrum analyzer and VHF sweep generator but I can make it work using NanoVNA and cheapo Chinese sweeper.

The first step was to design the 2nd order Butterworth filter. I did hand calculations based on the method by Zverev and validated the results using software. They give identical results. I measured the unloaded and loaded Q of the single and double tuned filters using the test rigs attached. The sweep results matched the simulation very closely.

Thanks to Synchrodyne in this forum, I was made aware of a 1965 IEEE paper about the performance of 3 coils versus 4 coils FM tuner. This is the only paper technical paper written on the comparative study on the effect of double-tuned gang vs single-gang front end.

The key considerations of high-performance FM tuners are (list below is taken from Pioneer TX8500 service manual):

1. noise figure,
2. spurious response,
3. image rejection,
4. IF rejection
5. sensitivity,
6. 50db quieting sensitivity
7. image rejection IMD interference
8. cross-modulation interference

I still struggle to understand concepts like quieting sensitivity and limiting sensitivity.

There will be lots of shieldings around the coils. Lets the battle begins!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	six-gang-bandpass-FM-valve-small.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	253914   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual gated mosfet 6 gang-small.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	253915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-03-21 at 20.21.24.jpg
Views:	325