View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2020, 9:58 am   #14
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: Advice on the LOW PASS Filters

We are planning to move to South of Glasgow area, but it will be next year.
Meanwhile, I will try to deal with the MW breakthrough to SW with filter or tuner device.

I find this article informative for the topic.

Here it says that when using the BCB filter, it will be clear whether the overloading is generated from the receiver or MW transmitter site.

https://pe2bz.philpem.me.uk/Comm/-%2...ce/rxtips.html

So does that mean, until you insert the BCB filter, the source of overloading is unknown?

"The BCB Rejection Filter is also an excellent way to determine if the signals heard are generated within the receiver or at a transmitter site. If the distortion signals disappear with the filter installed then they were generated within the receiver. If they are still present, then they are being generated at a transmitter site.

Another reason why a BCB filter is beneficial for any SW listening is because it eliminates the possibility of receiver desensitization. Strong BCB signals are allowed to pass through stages within the receiver which may create distortion. This reduces the receivers sensitivity even when the receiver is tuned to signals much higher in frequency. This is due to the fact that when an amplifier goes into distortion, the gain structure changes. An RF Amplifier with 10 dB gain may exhibit only 2 dB gain when subjected to a very strong signal. The noise floor of the receiver also increases in this condition.
"