View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:32 am   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo Model 40 MkII

Tim, the screws you mention are indeed locating the movement/magnet/scale plate assy.*
To prevent any minor distortion of the operating rod the mechanical cutout should be carefully triggered before removing the movement*. It should be in this triggered state when the movement is replaced in the meter- it can then be reset and adjusted if necessary. The cutout is on such a hair-trigger that it is likely it will need adjustment once the movement is reinstalled.

The only place to get NOS coloured terminal caps is on buying/selling sites, usually ebay- some did come up last year. Alternatively i recall someone has scanned them with a view to 3d printing them so this is worth looking into.
The NOS caps are vulnerable to splitting where the edge of the mould created little flaws in the plastic, so they need to be heated a little before pushing onto the splines.

Note the mounting screws for the movement do not locate through a slotted hole. There is nevertheless a slight amount of slop in them. A screwdriver with insulating tape around the shaft (just leaving the tip bare) is a good way of mitigating the risk of it hitting the magnet as you work.

The only thing i can add is that Pmmunro (peter munro) explained exactly how to remove and reinstall an avo movement quite recently, and he generally remembers aspects that i forget when summarising it- so it's worth doing a search in the forum search box.

I guess the only other thing to remember when straightening the pointer is to avoid the tools leaving black metal marks on the scale plate- which can be problematic to remove.

Dave