View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 9:29 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Avo Model 40 MkII

Dear all

I have a really nice Avo 40 Mk II, date code March 1968. It all works, and I use it for electrical/automotive work but one fault that really annoys me is that the needle is slightly bent. It was like this when got it. The needle is bent in a forward direction as follows: if I zero the needle on the centre scale, it is about 1mm (or slightly less) inside the zero of the upper scale arc and the same amount outside the zero on the lower scale arc. When the meter is at approx. half scale deflection, it is possible to see the slight 'forward slope' of the needle. The question is, is it possible to bend the needle straight by hand or will it break. If it is possible, how do I remove the meter movement to perform the operation. As I say the meter still works with very acceptable accuracy and I would hate to break it trying to repair a minor fault. It is very handy to have a 1000Ω/volt meter when digital meters are almost all 1MΩ or higher. If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated; PMs if necessary. Unusually, the 'P' knob is perfectly intact and working. Also, any idea if the coloured terminal caps are still available. On my meter it looks as if they've been tightened using a pair of pliers and the pliers have slipped. This is simply an enquiry; if parts or services are requested I shall use the relevant sections of the forum.

Thanks in advance

TimR